Tuesday, February 25, 2014

How Did All of These Dogs Get Here?

I’m not sure how it happened. I have somehow acquired four dogs. Seems like it was only yesterday - I was living a life of leisure, existing comfortably on my modest military pension... in a clean house with a manicured lawn. All of a sudden I had a house full of fur, a yard full of holes, more crates than furniture, and more leashes than clothes.

All of my fur kids are “foster failures.”  Folks in the “industry” know what I'm talking about.  Volunteers foster dogs for shelters or rescues planning to return them when they are ready for adoption; Good Samaritans pick up dogs off the street planning to find them good homes.  Before they know it, months/years have passed and the dogs are still there.
I didn’t keep every dog that spent time at my house.  I have fostered about 20 dogs and puppies for an established shelter, and I picked up a few off the street.
So what was it about the four who live with me now?  Why did they stay?  I really don’t know.  I just know that I love them and want the best for them.
I want them to receive life long training because it’s good for their disposition and great for my sanity.
Because they are all special needs dogs, I also want to take every opportunity to strengthen our connection and improve our relationship.  I don’t want training to affect their trust in me.  Therefore, I’m constantly seeking out better ways to train -- Methods that are fun and not harmful, positive and not aversive, hands off and not hands on. 
Join me as I learn about better ways to connect with, communicate with, and train dogs of all types using dog friendly methods.
-- La Trenda

Follow Us at
http://www.stubbypuddin.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment